Tuesday, February 9, 2010

When it rains, it pours...

Quote #5: "She came from off her knees to walking on her feet." - RS This quote came from an essay one of my students wrote for an assignment in my class. The assignment was to write a mock college application essay. It was an ambitious goal, especially since most students are not introduced to this concept until they are juniors in high school but I wanted my students to know what preparing for college looks like now. They need all the help they can get and I knew they were smart enough to handle this task. Besides, as opposed to middle class, white, suburban kids who might write about their accomplishments and talents, my students had the potential to write really raw/powerful stories that depict a world in which young kids prove unusually resilient to what would otherwise tear individuals apart. I asked for emotionally powerful stories and that is exactly what I got. Hence the title, when it rains personal narratives, it pours...

This quote came from an essay about one girl's single mom and how her mom had motivated her and turned her into the hard-working and dedicated person she is today. My pile of graded papers is chalk-full of stories about single moms and dads. About moms who abandon their children for drugs and the children finding it in their hearts to forgive their parent and move forward because they believe family is the most important thing there is. Stories about moms who had four kids by the time they were 22, still finished school, and have instilled this work ethic in their children. Then there is the story about a girl's aunt committing suicide and leaving her daughter behind for others to take care of. My family means the world to me (blood relation or not) and to read these stories about families is particularly difficult. It makes me wonder why they decided to share these stories. I know I asked for personal stories however, as someone who isn't usually upfront about my personal life, it is difficult for me to understand what compels someone to spill their emotional baggage in an essay. Is it because they don't see anything unusual with the story they are telling? Their type of family tragedy is just so commonplace that they can nonchalantly describe it. Is it because they feel comfortable sharing information with me? Or is it because they just want to be heard? I don't expect to answer these questions but it is something to think about...

Many of these stories take place within the last year, some of them while the student has been in my class. But I don't see this side of the students, I see the talkative, goofy, sassy/smart ass, funny side of these kids. Unless they tell me, I have no idea what goes on at their home. You could take these stories and feel bad for the kids and use the stories as excuses for why they behave the way they do but I believe there are more useful emotions than sympathy: admiration and commitment. My students AMAZE me, they make any problems I have in my life look simple. What do I know of heartache? Or loss? Or living without something or someone in my life? There are days I do not feel amazing but these kids have excuses to make them fell shitty every day and they come to school regardless. Not only do they come to school but on most days they smile and laugh and joke around.

I have heard from multiple people that, as a teacher, you should pretty much make yourself seem crazy. Mostly because it freaks your students out and they don't know what you are capable of doing and, therefore, will live in a state of constant suspense and want to pay attention. However, I don't think we can underestimate the entertainment value that being crazy plays in the classroom. If I act like a complete fool and am just that "weird" teacher (which a lot of my students have commented on) I can normally get the students to laugh and at least enjoy my class. Now I do not mean to imply that this works for all students, I know some students do not like my class BUT I know some students really love it and I think acting crazy might help out my cause. After reading these stories, I don't think I will ever underestimate what we will call the "entertainment aspect" in making my students' days more enjoyable. If you have something shitty to go home to and look forward to going to school to see your friends, then why not make students want to come to school to see their teachers as well?

No comments: